Sunday, July 22, 2012

The Hunger Games - Book 2


Back in April , I read the first book of the series - The Hunger Games.

It really did freak me out back then and I never did see the movie.
But as with most things that "shock" me -- I thought over it and decided to continue with the series.

Thus, I continued with Book 2 - Catching Fire.
A rebellion among the Districts vs the Capital has started, and the duo - Katniss and Peeta must once again compete in the Hunger Games.

In this book - the people are once again forced to enter an arena to fight - however , in this book, I think the "shock" value came with the satire it fell on society. I felt the satire was on how people of the Capital were made fun of.

Some examples include -
During a party - people binge eat even to the point where they swallow a "drink" to help them purge so they can continue to eat. Meanwhile, people in the Districts continue to starve.
Or when there is a competition of which wedding dress Katniss should wear on her wedding day - and it's based off of reality voting shows.

Again, sounds eerily familiar...   



No comments:

Post a Comment